Look! A Wild Post!
Told you I would write a new post since I was going on vacation- and seeing as how my flight has just been bumped to a 5 hour delay (versus a 2 hour delay, I wasn’t even suppose to transfer planes), now seems like a good time to do this (ignoring that I don’t have internet to post it atm). (Actually, I’m actualy posting this during the flight home- I’m on the plane atm).
So, what has been going on? What is there to say? We surpassed the 50% mark a while ago- most of you noticed that. I was originally going to make a post after that happened, had it written up and everything, but I never got around to adding the pictures I had planned for it and it never got posted. So, months later, here’s a blog post mentioning it. At this point, the scripts are all translated, all that is left are the motion portrait scenes. But, as I’ve said before, when that hits 100% it doesn’t mean that a patch will instantly be released, but it will be close. Proof reading and testing will still need to be done, but the hardest part will be out of the way.
As was going to be in the original 50% post, I spent some time testing the game the last time I had some time off for a vacation (wow, I guess the last blog post was a long time ago)- and I must say the game is unplayable without the motion portrait scenes translated xD. That aside, what I could do was good- I noticed some typos, and there are a couple bugs that need to be fixed (there was a freezing bug, which might still exist, I believe there is something wrong with one of the scripts). And also, there is some hacking that needs to be done…
Which brings me to my next point. Hacking. There are a couple things that need to be done in terms of hacking- somewhat important things. Extending the display buffer for the text, as well as the backlog and names buffers. Right now there are names that are too long (they could be shortened if need be) and when they are displayed it also displays the script name since it overflows. As for the text buffers, if we overflow those we get a crash. Right now Soywiz has put a fix in place that splits text entries that are too long into two separate entries, but this isn’t ideal. If we can’t really extend the text buffer, we can improve the way splits are done (it’s pretty messy atm) and use that. As I said before, I started working on the hacking aspects during a short span of time off I had, but most of my time was spent getting the emulator to break on memory writes like it should. I have three addresses in the boot.bin that contains the code that writes to the buffer, but since the emulator doesn’t do tracing, things are turning into a bit of a larger pain than I initially expected- and then I just ran out of time to work on it more.
And, while I’m on the subject of emulators, good news for those who can’t run ISOs on their PSP (since you have to run a patched image, not because you have to pirate it), JCPSP can run SHNY- you just a) can’t use the media engine (it hangs when starting a game if you do, and the PMFs don’t have audio anyways, iirc some of SHNY’s PMFs are a screwy format). And b) You need fonts off a PSP and need to have the emulator use those fonts, without the PSP fonts you won’t get/will get screwed up text output. But otherwise, the game is playable (albeit slow). Also, this was using a version of JCPSP that is out of date- if you get the most recent builds, the PMFs might work and not hang. Looking through some of the changelogs since the version I was using- at least the hang bug might be fixed, if not the audio as well (Also, the fact that I don’t have sonic stage or whatever program is needed for the PSP audio format installed might be why I don’t have audio).
So, to sum things all up- translation is still coming along and getting close. Hacking still needs to be done, but since JCPSP can run SHNY, and has some debug features (tracing would make me a happy camper though) it’s a big help. Things are coming along, still, but as usual most everyone involved with this project is busy. But we are still alive.